Podcast show notes
0:00 to 3:38: Introduction
- The Oslo Freedom Forum was held May 20-24, 2017 in Oslo.
- The theme for this year was “Defending Democracy.”
- 52% of the world’s population lives in oppressive regimes,
- Claim that democratic processes have slowed down.
- An annual conference to “brainstorm ways to expand freedom and unleash human potential across the globe.
- The real question? What does “freedom,” “democracy,” and “forum” really mean when used in the same sentence?
- Discuss the pillars of democracy including the right to bear (unregistered) firearms.
They forgot the right to bear arms
3:39 – 9:20: The Panel Discussion in the Park
- Attended the park event on May 21 at 3-4pm in the park by National Theater in downtown Oslo.
- Nick expresses admiration for bold people, willing to put their lives on the line, even if they don’t agree with his beliefs.
- Reflections from the panel discussion.
- The role of western countries in the Middle East.
- Thoughts on President Trump, BREXIT, and Globalism.
An Illiberal democracy is one that is hollow -just in name, having phony or show elections, like in Iran.
9:21 – 18:24: Q&A and Debate Session
- Key historical events leading to modern western democracy.
- Citing Ayaan Hirsi Ali, asking about Islamic ideological reform?
- The panelists’ response to my question.
- Post-debate and discussion reflections.
18:25 – 24:44: Discussion of Key Questions
- What is freedom?
- Why is it so elusive?
- How do you get it?
- How do we keep it?
- What are the tradeoffs?
- Foundations of Freedom
24:45 – 30:10: Immigration Policy and Closing Thoughts
- The “Equal Protection Under Law” concept (14th Amendment)
- Banning symbols and clothes does not stop intent.
- Applying Smart Conservatism Principals
- Restricting immigration from non-Anglo-Saxon nations and extreme vetting.
- Mandate more rigorous US History & Constitution curriculum and testing in schools, colleges and for those applying for residence (of any kind) and American Citizenship.
- Closing thoughts on our responsibilities.
Notes & References:
Oslo Freedom Forum 2017 Overview
Fleeing Tyranny or Bringing it with Them? ( Khadija Khan May 31, 2017 at 5:00 am)
The Magna Carta
Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Literacy in the Muslim World